суббота, 21 мая 2011 г.

UK Charity Tackles Health Risk For Children - Engaging Website Launches To Educate Children At A Crucial Age In Bone Development

Research from the National Osteoporosis Society has revealed that almost half (49%)* of young people do not know that there are steps they can take to keep their bones healthy. This knowledge gap puts them at risk of osteoporosis and fractures in later life.


In response to this research, the charity has developed an exciting online project that will educate UK children about bone health and provide inspiring resources for school teachers and parents. Bones4life gives vital health messages to young people while their bone strength is still being built. Through knowledge enhancing, creativity developing activity, the new website will help to prevent children risking their future health.


Lesley Millard, Education Officer for the National Osteoporosis Society, has over 30 years experience working with children. Her experience as a Head Teacher has provided inspiration for the resources.


"Our YouGov research highlighted massive shortfalls in knowledge around bone health in young people," she said. "Children don't realise the damage that unhealthy lifestyles can have on their bones in later life. The majority were unaware that exercise can help reduce the risk of osteoporosis and one in three did not know about the positive role diet can play. Bones4life is launching at a time when electronic and interactive resources could not be more valuable to the curriculum. We want to make sure children take care of their bones for the future so we've involved young people and teachers throughout the development of Bones4life to help us achieve this."


The website is tailored to the requirements of the national curriculum for 7-10 year olds and is particularly relevant for information technology and health and fitness. It teaches children about the importance of building healthy bones from a young age, to protect this living tissue.


Divided in to two sections, the children's part of the website includes a flash game, fun educational quizzes and a gallery where their work can be posted. The adult section hosts a variety of resources including lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, film clips, photos, resource lists and music. There will also be a link to the charity's main web site for forum discussions.


Illustrating the site are three characters that children can interact with, developed by the charity to represent the three main elements required to look after your bones. 'Sneakers', the exercise lover, knows that weight-bearing exercise is important for general health and strengthening bones; 'Munch' loves healthy eating and calcium rich foods; 'Blaze' gets power from sunlight, which enables the body to produce bone-healthy vitamin D.


Simon Brown, a teacher at Christchurch Primary School in Wiltshire, welcomes the new website: "It is great to find a resource that both educates and entertains. The children love the fun characters and games that help them learn all about their bones. I'm keen to incorporate Bones4life into my lesson plans."


Christchurch Primary School helped to test-drive the site and provided valuable feedback for its development.


Sophie, year 5 said, "The website is really fun - especially the game which is challenging. I really like the characters as well."


Osteoporosis is one of the most common diseases in the UK, and more than a thousand people per month die as a result of hip fracture. 70,000 hip fractures occur every year, costing the UK healthcare system and government ВЈ2.3 billion - approximately ВЈ6 million a day. Younger people need to 'bank' strong bone before they reach 30 in order to reduce the risks of osteoporosis and poor bone health. Often called the 'silent disease' osteoporosis has no specific symptoms and can go undetected until the time of a first broken bone.


Source
The National Osteoporosis Society

2 комментария:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ОтветитьУдалить